Review: Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken

Freitag, 9. Mai 2014


Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken
Published: August 11th 2013 
Number of pages: 250 (Kindle edition)
Series: Yes, #1 

   I'm not your typical girl. I've been running away from the memories that haunt me for so long that depression has become my only comfort. I was content in the darkness...until Wes Michals offered to be my light.
   I didn't know that time wasn't my ally -- that every second that ticked past was one step closer to the end of something that was beginning to mean the end of myself. He tried to warn me. He promised me all he was able to offer--each moment as it came--but it would never be enough.
   Sometimes when you think it's the end, it's only the beginning. Wes thought he could save me, but in giving me everything, he ruined me. Because after one kiss, one touch, I couldn't--I wouldn't ever be the same.
   And from that moment on, his heartbeat became my own. (goodreads)

“Goodbye – whoever invented that should burn in Hell.” (Kiersten)

   So basically I was looking for some emotion filled reading material, because it simply was that kind of evening, and I stumbled upon Ruin… Let’s just say, starting to read it around midnight wasn’t the smartest of my ideas, because somehow I ended up reading until 4am, while twice writing a friend of mine an e-mail telling her how much I love this or the other scene and how nicely the song, that was playing from a playlist in the background, fit to it.
Yes, I’m that kind of a friend.
   Anyways, I enjoyed Ruin a lot. I admit, though at times it had me in tears, yet other times I was bursting out laughing, while waking my sleeping dog who shot me a death stare for waking him. The story is more than unrealistic, because things like this simply don’t happen in life. But, at the same time, it’s a beautiful journey filled with raw and heartfelt emotions.
   One thing that I found was great about Ruin was the message it tried to convey to the reader, being that no matter how hard live might be, no matter which curve ball you have to deal with, it all is in your hands as to how you want to deal with it and that life is worth living.

“Maybe the darkness wasn’t closing in like I first assumed. Maybe I just invited it without knowing?” (Weston)

   Kiersten is a young college student who struggles with how to deal with loss of her parents. She is one of those typical innocent, small town girl characters who somehow still manages to make you fall in love with her. She’s said to be really beautiful, which I guess comes as no surprise. 
   Weston, on the other hand is the typical sexy and breathtakingly handsome quarterback with a secret he tries to deal with. I will not spoiler what it is, though one gets to know it very quickly. And, on top of his stunning looks and charm, he is filthy rich. But, as the story unfolds he turned into every girls dream boyfriend. 

Living is hard - dying is easy. You close your eyes and never open them up again. What's so difficult about that? Nothing really - except it hurts like hell to those you leave behind. (Weston)

   I must say that I liked both characters. They surely were nothing that outstandingly different, though both their situations gave the story an interesting twist. They both have different demons to battle, but they help each other to deal with them. Besides that, they gave each other quite cute nicknames – Kiersten, Lamb and Weston, Wolf – which fits their characters.

“And the Mr. Insensitive Award goes to…Weston Michels. I. Am. An. Ass.” (Weston)

   All in all, the story is beautifully written and takes you on a very emotional journey which will reach deep inside your soul and make you think about your own life and how valuable life and time really is. Why you ask? Well, read the book and find it out!
   I’ve read Ruin on my iPad and I ended up highlighting so many lines, passages and quotes which either made me laugh, were really cute, honest or almost ripped my heart out. I must say, that I really love novels like this which are filled with sadness, grief and loss, or sickness with that wonderful splash of romance.

   This novel surprised me. I was sure it’ll be just really cheese and maybe a maximum of 3 stars worth, but it ended up being quite the contrary. The story had me reading while being unable to stop, despite my mind trying to tell me that it’s WAY too late to still be awake. So, if you are looking for an emotional read that will have you on edge, Ruin might be what you are looking for!

I give Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken 5 out of 5 stars.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen